|GTP Publication Award 2000
The Publication Award of the Gesellschaft für Toxikologische Pathologie (GTP) for the year 2000 is bestowed upon
Dr. med. vet. Virgilio Pace
In a work recently accepted for publication, Dr. Pace described a mixed tumor (adenoma/gangliocytoma) in a two-year-old female Sprague-Dawley rat. The case is well investigated, using methods including immunohistochemical staining, and competently discussed, also with reference to similar tumors in man. The histogenesis of this intra-sellar mixed tumors is examined critically (1).
In another recently published work, Dr. Pace described the sclerotic changes in the pulmonary vessels of an albino rat with leukemia (2).
In 1998 Dr. Pace reported on a spontaneous carcinoma of the choroid plexus of a female rat. His diagnosis was based on careful microscopic and immunohistochemical studies. He also showed that tumors of the choroid plexus exhibit epithelial differentiation and can express cytokeratin (LU-5) (3).
In 1997 a publication appeared on a spontaneous malignant craniopharyngeoma in a two-year-old male rat, described succinctly on the basis of microscopic, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural investigations (4).
In 1995, Dr. Pace was the first to describe a spontaneous osteosarcoma of the meninges in a two-year-old female rat, by methods including ultrastructural investigations to detect the origin of the neoplasia (5).
With his series of competent publications on spontaneous lesions of the albino rat, Dr. Pace has made a valuable contribution to toxicologic pathology.
- Pace V, Perentes E. Mixed pituitary adenoma-gangliocytoma in a female albino rat. Accepted by Acta Neuropathologica
- Pace V, Mahrous AT, Prerentes E (2000) Pulmonary vascular sclerosis in an albino rat with leukemia. Exp Toxicol Pathol 52: 308-311
- Pace V (1998) Spontaneous choroid plexus carcinoma in an albino rat. Exp Toxicol Pathol 50: 225-228
- Pace V, Heider K, Persohn E, Schätti P (1997) Spontaneous malignant craniopharyngioma in an albino rat. Vet Pathol 34: 146-149
- Pace V, Persohn E, Heider K (1995) Spontaneous osteosarcoma of the meninges in an albino rat. Vet Pathol 32: 204-207
Amsterdam, September 22, 2000
||Awards Committee Chairman
|Dr. G.J. Krinke, Dozent, MVDr. CSc.
||Dr. med. R.A. Ettlin, Fellow ATS